An open letter to customer service departments

Dear Customer Service Departments,

I just received a phone call, and when I answered I was greeted by an automated voice telling me I was on hold, and I would be speaking to a representative shortly. Suffice to say that I don’t need to speak to a representative to find out who could be so insolent – I already know.

It’s the Customer Service department of an unbearably arrogant bank or credit company; I know this because frankly no other business treats their customers with such disrespect. You approach every situation and interaction from a self-satisfied position deriving from your knowledge of the fact that you don’t need any individual customer, and therefore they are worthless and should be treated as such.

If you don’t feel this way, then why am I still on hold?

I have to hand it to you; outraged as I am, I know you’re right. I need a bank. It’s literally impossible to exist in our society without the services you provide – and charge dearly for. But why rub it in our faces? Just because you can?

They have a phrase for that in pro sports: showboating. Poor sportsmanship.

Class is a rare commodity in this day and age, particularly in business. People expect a certain amount of inconvenience and belittlement when dealing with their bank; it’s not the exception it’s the rule. This holds true for every other service we choose to pay for: the phone company, internet provider, or television empire – now very often the same company, bundled.

The message is clear: No thanks for your business, try to enjoy our mediocre service. Don’t like it? We’ll get along just fine without you.

I’m disgusted.

Yours,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment